It’s time to throw down and say: No Cap. No more half-ass candidates, no more BS solutions. On November 2nd , it’s Election day. It’s our moment to vote for those who support us and our people.
Ignite is an organization of young people fighting for justice, from the polls to the streets. Our state has been the launching pad for racist, homophobic, xeonophobic policies. Before the federal government stoked up violence against LGBTQ people, North Carolina passed our first in the nation “bathroom bill.” Before judges gutted the Voting Rights Act, we passed a racist voter ID law. Before Washington criminalized Black and brown people and slashed education, NC got there first.
This spring, we kicked off our fellowship program, #NoCap2020. In the lead up to North Carolina’s primary election, our fellows talked to thousands of student voters about the issues that matter to them while receiving dedicated training and support.
After Super Tuesday, our fellows were instrumental in organizing HBCU students across the state to pressure the UNC board on their handling of the COVID-19 shutdown. Fellows organized, petitioned, and held meetings demanding that the UNC Board address a myriad of issues, including extending student healthcare coverage and refunding funds for students who were insured outside of the university as well as fair grading policies due to a shortened spring semester. With the training Ignite provided, our fellows led the charge and were able to reach over 20,000 students across the state in less than two weeks with MVP’s support. Our fall #NoCap2020 cohort, kicking off in August, will focus on COVID-19 rapid response, Black Lives Matter, youth voter mobilization, and more. Fellows will use a range of tactics to build their base, including class raps, tabling, socially distanced canvassing, phone banking, Zoom parties, text parties, car parties, and drive-in rallies.
**Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with those sent earlier receiving priority. Fellows will receive a $300 stipend.**
Are you with us? Apply now for our paid Fall #NoCap2020 Fellowship!
As a #NoCap2020 Fellow, you will:
* help to lead campaigns for racial and social justice on campus and in the local community
* engage candidates, elected officials, and student voters on the issues that matter to us
* receive dedicated training and support
* Fill out the application below! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with those sent earlier receiving priority. Fellows will receive a $300 stipend.
Fellowship timeline and compensation:
* The fellowship will run from August 17 to November 31.
* Current undergrad student or young person age 18-24
* Clear and demonstrated commitment to our values of social justice, racial justice, and collective liberation
* Clear and demonstrated commitment to working with groups on campus that represent marginalized populations
* Passionate about moving others to action
* Strong communicator and team-player
* Organizing for at least 5-10 hours per week
* Helping to build campus and local campaigns
* Helping to engage candidates, elected officials, and student voters on the issues that matter to us
* Recruiting 10 new activists on your campus and collecting at least 200 new contacts (via sign-in sheets or petitions)
* Participating in regular #NoCap2020 local team meetings and events on campus, and recruiting students from your campus to statewide events
* Communicating with the fellowship team on a regular basis, and working together to create organizing plans
* Organizing at least one training or event in partnership with other #NoCap2020 or local leaders
Women, LGBTQ folks, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We believe in centering and elevating the leadership of those representing the most marginalized among us. By uniting and organizing, we believe that we create change in our communities and across North Carolina.
Questions? Email us at Jonah@southernvision.org . Looking forward to hearing from you!